Saturday 25 July 2009

Mystery & Minimalism

While I usually like more dramatic and daring concepts on the runway, I can't help but fall in love with Chanel's classical 2009 Couture collection. It's laced with elegance and all that's expected from Karl Lagerfeld. As he was quoted saying, 'what could be more mythical than a Chanel jacket and Number 5 perfume?' And I couldn't agree more. Pure and innocent white silhouettes are mirrored with veiled faces, with material embroidered and enriched in crystals. The light dresses drape down so mysteriously that they almost vanish and become shadows. Even the black outfits retain the staple Chanel concept, with sharp white crystals piercing through underneath. The makeup and styling serves as an extension of the clothes, with the hair gloriously swirling and melting into the garments, making the model a real part of the collection.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you totally! I read a review for the couture show online yesterday and it said that the collection didn't work at all and it was all rather stale. I applaud Karl for doing something different, I love all the lace that was used. Very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally in love with lace! I am hunting for the perfect piece :)

    Thank you very much for commenting my blog, and for complimenting my photography - I really appreciate it! I love having guests over!

    ReplyDelete