Wednesday 16 September 2009

Threads Of Time

This extraordinary, magical novel is the story of Clare and Henry who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Sounds confusing, as if time has been lost in translation, but by keeping faith with 'The Time Travellers Wife', and turning the pages in a chronological manner (unlike Henry), the pieces of clockwork are so much easier to put together. When this happened I was presented with such a beautiful and charming tale; something that made me question the human condition and even the way I act. If I could find out when myself or my loved ones die, would I? And if I knew, would I be able to re-stitch the threads of time and change the inevitability of the future that hasn’t yet been set in stone? Or are we all living by means of fate? A lot of question marks fill this segment I know, but I hope this leaves an impression on how thought provoking and enriched the romanticised darkness of the novel is.

‘Kiss me’, Clare says, and I turn to her, white face and dark lips floating in the dark, and I submerge, I fly, I am released: being wells up in my heart.’

1 comment:

  1. Oh such a beautiful book...

    Constance x
    www.constance-victoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete